Falmouth Haven is a noble and most extensive harbour, communicating with a number of navigable creeks. Falmouth is a flourishing town of great traffic, which has been much improved by its being appointed the station of the packets to Spain,Portugal and America. The houses are disposed in one street, near a mile in length, running by the side of the beach. The quay is extremely convenient. The custom-house and salt-office for most of the Cornish towns are established in it. The entrance of the harbour is guarded by Pendennis Castle situated on the brow of a lofty rock, in which  works were constructed  in the reigns of  Henry VIII and Elizabeth and afterwards by Cromwell. They are now modernized and mounted with a great number of cannon.The inside of the castle is made a convenient residence for the governor.

Text: England Described (1818) by John Aiken M.D.

Map: Section from Cornwall from Cary’s Traveller’s Companion or a Delineation of the Turnpike Roads of England and Wales etc.,(1812) by John Cary.

Jane Austen References

Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 14th January 1796