(1) About one miles and a half from Gosford Green is the village of Stoneleigh, where was an abbey of Cistertian monks, brought from Radmore in Staffordshire, in the year 1154 and granted to the Duke of Suffolk. A little to the south of the village is Stoneleigh Abbey, the seat of the honourable Mrs Leigh.

(2) Stoneleigh Abbey and its noble domain are in every natural and moral pint of view objects of attention not only for the vast sweep of rural beauties it commands but as it is connected with several other circumstances, both ancient and modern, respecting the property as well as the structure.

(3) Stoneleigh

This village is situated within three miles of Kenilworth on the east side. It forms an extensive parish, containing the following petty hamlets- viz. Cloud; Stanton; Finham; Fletchamstead( superior and inferior); Hunt; Cryfield ; Canley, and Hill. previous to the Norman invasion, Stoneleigh was held in desmense by King Edward and after wards by the conqueror, by whose survey it was stated to contain six hides of land. At that time( Kenilworth belonging to it) it was four miles in length and two in breadth; in which was reserved to the king the right of feeding two thousand hogs. The ancient name was Staneli, subsequently altered to Stoneleigh, which latter name originates from this part of the county begin very stony.

Text :

(1) A Topographical and Statistical Survey of the Country of Warwickshire etc (circa 1800) by George Alexander Cooke

(2) A Guide to all the Watering and Sea-Bathing Places etc (1816) by John Feltham

(3)The New Guide an Historical and Descriptive account of Leamington and Warwick to Which is Added Short Notices of the Towns, Villages & Within the Circuit of 10 Miles (1817) by H Sharpe

Engravings: The New Guide an Historical and Descriptive account of Leamington and Warwick to Which is Added Short Notices of the Towns, Villages & Within the Circuit of 10 Miles (1817) by H Sharpe

Map: section from Warwickshire (1809) by John Cary

Jane Austen References

Jane Austen, Cassandra Austen and Mrs Austen accompanied the Reverend Thomas Leigh on a visit to Stoneleigh in the summer of 1806 in order to secure his inheritance to the estate.

The Letters

Letter from Mrs George Austen to Mrs James Austen dated 13th August 1806

Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 7th January 1807

Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 17th June 1808

Letter to Cassandra Austen dated 21st November 1808

Letter to Francis Austen dated 3rd July 1813.

Link to current website

Stoneleigh Abbey

Link to AustenOnly Posts on Stoneleigh

A Queen’s Visit